Preserving The Pour: A Guide To Proper Wine Preservation
As the new year unfolds and resolutions take center stage, many of us are reconsidering our habits, including our relationship with wine. In this email, let’s delve into the intricacies of storing wine, the nuances of bottle aging, and the art of preserving opened bottles to ensure every sip is as delightful as the first.
1. Storing Wine: Creating the Perfect Habitat:
- The proper storage of wine is fundamental to its evolution and enjoyment. Consider the following tips:
- Temperature Control: Store wine in a cool, dark place with a consistent temperature, ideally between 45-65°F (7-18°C).
- Humidity Matters: Maintain relative humidity around 70% to prevent corks from drying out and compromising the seal.
- Horizontal Position: Store wine bottles horizontally to keep the cork moist and ensure a proper seal.
- Consider That Not All Wines Are Meant to Age: Contrary to popular belief, not all wines benefit from extended bottle aging. While some varieties thrive, others are crafted for immediate enjoyment.
- Wines Suitable for Aging: Cabernet Sauvignon, Bordeaux blends, Merlot, and some high-quality Chardonnays.
- Wines Best Consumed Young: Beaujolais Nouveau, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio, and most sparkling wines.
2. Post Uncorking: Unraveling the Freshness Equation:
- Once opened, the clock starts ticking on the freshness of your wine. Quick tips to prolong its life:
- Re-cork Quickly: Seal the bottle promptly to minimize exposure to air.
- Refrigerate: Store opened bottles in the refrigerator to slow down oxidation.
- Wine Vacuum Pump: Remove air from the bottle to delay the effects of oxidation.
3. Preservation Systems: A Revolution in Wine Enjoyment:
- Preservation Systems like the Coravin that we use in our tasting room, are revolutionary devices that allows you to pour wine without removing the cork. Their benefits include:
- Preserving Wine Integrity: By replacing the extracted wine with inert gas, the Coravin system ensures that the remaining wine stays fresh and unaltered.
- Exploration Without Commitment: Sample wines without committing to finishing the bottle, making it ideal for tasting different varieties and vintages.
Dive deeper into the world of wine storage, aging, and preservation. Explore the world of aging, and learn how to make the most of every bottle when you to visit our tasting room, where our team will be delighted to share insights and answer any questions you may have.
As we navigate January with a renewed focus, let’s embrace the opportunity to elevate our wine experience together. We look forward to welcoming you into the world of nuanced wine enjoyment!